Thursday, May 28, 2009

Diana is 4 weeks old

Diana is 4 weeks old. I am starting to notice the change in her size. She is just about 9 pounds now and increasingly cute. Today she opened her mouth wide as she slept on my chest and as I leaned down to intercept what I thought might be her first attempt to kiss me (or at least sniff me), she burped in my face. And then she closed her mouth and fell back to sleep. Priceless. She makes me laugh. Today was her first trip to Chick Fil A. We try to get out a few days a week on short trips. She hates the car ride but will tolerate the stroller. Although today she insisted on being carried through the mall.

So the rumor is that beer helps milk production. I don't know if it is true but I have heard this from half a dozen people. Yesterday the only way to keep Diana from screaming all day was to keep feeding her. Besides not being able to leave the room, this is really exhausting for me. I have started drinking beer. The good news is that it is the barley that stimulates production not the alcohol, so I have been sipping O'douls (non alcoholic beer) on the occasion I'm feeling low. Don't know if it helps her get more milk but it makes me feel better.

Sometime just before 4 weeks old, I noticed that Diana creates tears when crying. As if her shrieks weren't painstaking enough, now she is teary eyed - which makes me pick her up faster.

We have lots of baby clothes and they are all washed now. I have to admit, I don't change her clothes every day. She doesn't really spit up much and she doesn't smell bad. But after counting all of the onsies I have, I am making an concerted effort to change her clothes more. I know, you all think that is gross. Some of these baby clothes are complicated with a lot of snaps. And if your baby's head is big (like mine), she doesn't particularly like pulling something over her head. Plus her arms move like a windmill. It's not easy.

Mommyhood is great. I can't wait for her first trip to the pumpkin patch. And for the first time she actually sees the cats and reaches out to touch them. Or when she starts smiling for real. So much to look forward to!

No comments: