Friday, May 15, 2009

Cesarean is not a bad word

There are lots of methods and places to have a baby. There are hospitals and birthing centers, at home or in a tub. You can do it drug free, with an epidural or unconscious. You can be in labor for days or for a few hours. You can have an emergency c-section or never experience labor and have a planned c-section.

For some reason the c-section gets a bad name. My doctor started mentioning that Diana was breach from about 28 weeks. Actually I think before that, but that is when I remember her making a point of it at my appointment. By 34 weeks, we put the c-section on the calendar. I trust my doctor and to this point she hasn’t been wrong about anything. She didn’t want to put me through the pain or stress of trying to flip the baby either.

When I heard that I was having a c-section, I was not disappointed. In fact, deep down, I always knew that would be my fate. I didn’t feel like I was going to miss the birthing experience. I didn’t feel short changed. I didn’t feel like a failure. I felt that this was the way it needed to be to ensure a safe delivery for baby and Mom, and if she changed position then we could cancel. But if she didn’t, we were on the calendar and I could be fairly certain my doctor would do the surgery. Once I knew the bulge by my belly button was her head, I also knew that she was never going to flip and her head never strayed far from its resting spot.

When I told people about my fate, I got “the look.” The look that I should be disappointed, short-changed and unhappy. I read many posts on the Internet and there are strong opinions about c-sections. Overall it has a negative connotation. Not every c-section is planned for ‘silly’ reasons or so the doctor can play golf on Thursday. C-sections are definitely more frequent now and I’m sure there are bad reasons to do them. Like anything, opinions on what should and should not be done vary.

I had a planned c-section. It went very well. My recovery was slow (although if a 14 ¾ inch head came through my yoohoo, I’m not sure that would have been much quicker.)
I was lucky to be in a controlled situation where Diana and I were never in danger. Would I have loved her more or felt that I ‘owned’ the delivery if I had delivered vaginally instead? No. My doctor and I made an educated decision. There are pros and cons to everything.

I had a c-section. I am not disappointed. I will forever have a scar that will remind me of the amazing birth of my daughter. It’s my badge of honor.

No comments: